Many Filipinos are very familiar with this fruit called “saging” or “plantain” or banana. It may not be considered as the Philippine’s national fruit, but definitely, it is the most popular fruit that you would ever see in the market all over the world. Mexico being one of the biggest supplier of bananas worldwide, Philippines has the most variety and tastiest bananas of them all. Thanks to Pearl Farm, situated in Northern Davao, owned and regulated by Mr. Antonio Floirendo Sr., who by the way, became one of my patient in Makati Medical Center in the mid 90’s. He was considered to be the “Banana King of the Philippines”.
You’ll never look at a banana the same way again after discovering the many health benefits and reasons to add them to your diet. Bananas combat depression, make you smarter, cure hangovers, relieve morning sickness, protect against kidney cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and blindness. They can cure the itch of a mosquito bite and put a great shine on your shoes.
If you think bananas are just for monkeys, think again.
1. Bananas help overcome depression due high levels of tryptophan,
which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain
2. Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch
and sustain your blood sugar
3. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg
cramps by eating a banana
4. Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by
supplementing with a banana
5. Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana,
which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation
6. Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight
loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of
white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6
7. Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from
8. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by
the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure, and protect against heart
attack and stroke
Eating bananas aids digestion
9. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and
heavy metals from the body
10. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in
the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing
11. Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
12. Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help
restore lost electrolytes after diarrhea.
13. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux,
heartburn and GERD
14. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to
relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against
Natural cures from a simple banana
15. Eating bananas helps prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against
macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing
16. Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more
alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels
17. Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing free radicals and protection
from chronic disease
18. Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce
nausea from morning sickness
19. Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve
itching and irritation
20. Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a
21. Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a
fever or on a hot day
22. The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve Seasonal
Affective Disorder (SAD)
23. Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as
potassium and magnesium speed recovery from the effects of
24. Remove a wart by placing the inside of a piece of banana peel against
the wart and taping it in place
25. Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes or handbag and
polish with a dry cloth for a quick shine
Oh, and remember — bananas make great snacks and delicious smoothies.
Now you know why monkeys are so happy. Eat a banana!
- Health Tip: If you’re on the phone, walk around while you chat.