Canada Leads Efforts to Help Victims of Typhoon Hagupit
At an event hosted by the Filipino-Canadian Organization FAMAS, Minister Christian Paradis announced a commitment of 5M$ in additional humanitarian aid to help meet the urgent needs of those affected by Typhoon Hagupit. Senator Enverga also attended the announcement.
Minister Paradis announces support to those affected by Typhoon Hagupit
December 16, 2014 – The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today hosted a roundtable meeting with members of Montréal’s Filipino-Canadian community and announced a commitment of $5 million in additional humanitarian assistance to help meet the urgent needs of those affected by Typhoon Hagupit.
“It is heartbreaking that the people of the Philippines have been hit once again with such a destructive typhoon while still dealing with the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago,” said Minister Paradis. “Canada’s support will help to respond to needs identified by the Government of the Philippines, such as for water, sanitation, emergency shelter, and other essential relief items for those affected by the typhoon.”
Typhoon Hagupit first hit the Philippines as a Category 3 typhoon on December 6, 2014, making it the most powerful storm to hit the Philippines this year. Hagupit has affected nearly 2.8 million people, and more than 43,000 houses have been damaged across the affected areas. The Government of the Philippines has confirmed 18 deaths, and more than 1.7 million people have been evacuated.
Typhoon Hagupit also impacted some areas already affected by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago. To that end, Minister Paradis also announced last week that Canada will be extending the deadline for the Typhoon Haiyan Reconstruction Assistance Call for Proposals to February 13, 2015. This will give Canadian organizations on the ground more time to mobilize their responses to Typhoon Hagupit, as needed, and to consider Hagupit’s implications in Haiyan-affected areas.
“Canada is steadfast in its commitment to helping the Filipino people in their efforts to restore their livelihoods and build a better future for their country,” reiterated Minister Paradis. “Canada was proud to help in the relief effort in 2013, and we are proud to assist again this year.”
- When Typhoon Hagupit hit the Philippines on December 6, 2014, Canada was already exploring how it could help, working closely with humanitarian partners and the Government of the Philippines.
- In 2014, the Philippines was confirmed as a country of focus for the Government of Canada’s international development efforts.
- Backgrounder – Canada providing additional humanitarian support to Filipinos affected by Typhoon Hagupit
- Minister Paradis reiterates Canada’s support to the Philippines
- Paradis Readies Canadian Support for Philippines in Preparation for Typhoon Hagupit
- Typhoon Haiyan Reconstruction Assistance Call for Proposals